Formula E Highlights
Formula E is as exciting as it is fresh. Though we’re all looking forward to the advances in electric technology that it will bring, now is the time to enjoy the show. As we approach the 19th race in season 2, Berlin, here’s a look back at the Formula E highlights of this race season.
From FIA Formula E’s website:
A no-score in Berlin could be crucial in determining the destiny of the championship.
- At 2.03km the Berlin track is the second shortest used this year. Only Paris had a shorter lap.
- Whoever sets fastest lap in the race will establish a new lap record.
- There have been 18 races in Formula E thus far. During these, there have been 14 opportunities for a driver to win his home race. So far this has happened just once – Sam Bird in the second London race. Two German drivers – Nick Heidfeld and Daniel Abt have the opportunity to add to this.
- Although Lucas di Grassi and Sebastien Buemi has a sizeable advantage over the rest in the championship, with 90 points still to play for all the drivers down to Loic Duval in seventh in points have a mathematical chance of claiming the title.
- In Paris, Ma Qing Hua became the 41st different driver to race in Formula E. These drivers have come from 16 different countries. France has had the most drivers – seven (Berthon, Duval, Montagny, Pic, Prost, Sarrazin, Vergne)
- Sebastien Buemi is on a run of 12 straight point-scoring races dating back to Long Beach in season one
- Other than Buemi, Sarrazin is the only driver to have scored points in every race so far this season
- Lucas di Grassi became the first ever back-to-back winner in Formula E in Paris
- Renault e.dams has scored points in every Formula E race that has been held
- Renault e.dams, Abt Schaeffler, DS Virgin, Venturi and Andretti have scored points in every race this season
Season two stats
- 11 drivers have led a lap so far this season – di Grassi (102), Buemi (65 laps), Bird (45), D’Ambrosio (29), Prost (4), Duval (3), Piquet (3), Abt (2), Frijns (1), Turvey (1), Heidfeld (1)
- The 25 points di Grassi scored in Paris means he’s overtaken Buemi as the leading point scorer in Formula E history
- On average, the races in season two have been 9.296km/h faster than last season*
- On average, the fastest race laps in season two have been 2.684km/h faster than last season*
*track changes in Beijing and Punta make like-for-like comparison impossible